NCEA Level 2 EPIC – English and Humanities
Number of Credits: Up to 30
7 Assessments with on Essay Examination
EPIC – Empowered Personalised Inspired Challenge
EPIC is a successful programme designed to provide students with the opportunity to access Level 2 NCEA in a more supported programme. With this holistic approach, subjects are integrated.
This may follow on from EPIC Level 1 but there is open entry to this course. Providing contextualised learning with the focus on English and literacy skills, linked to areas of interest within the humanities, will provide learning that is relevant, engaging and suited to specific student needs.
NCEA Level 2 Achievement Standards (internal and external) and Level 2 Unit Standards as alternatives, will be designed to provide a learning programme for students within planned common themes. There will be a strong focus on literacy and a variety of different writing skills.
Students will develop the knowledge and skills necessary to prepare and maintain achievement across two subjects i.e. 8 lessons per week, rather than 4 for English.
Skills developed in the course:
- Effective communication, including presentation and interpretation across all learning areas
- Application of concepts to everyday situations
- Understanding other people’s points of view, beliefs, perspectives and cultures
- Ability to work and learn collaboratively
- Literacy skills
- Formal, creative and analytical writing skills
- Planning, research and review skills
- Problem solving – processing information to form justified conclusions
- Research skills – collecting, presenting, analysing and evaluating information
Course Costs: There will be a cost of up to $200 for additional standards, depending on personalised needs.
The course may lead to: NCEA Level 3 as per prior learning recommendations for English will be included in this course. Humanities courses at Level 3 have open entry but sound literacy skills from this course will be of value.
SAMPLE ASSESSMENT SCHEDULE
(Will be designed collaboratively based on student areas of interest and can be constructed from standards below)