smc foundation diploma – Science
Entry Recommendation: Open entry.
Course Outline: The topics chosen for this course cover a range of science disciplines: Chemistry, Biology, and Physics.
- Everyday chemical compounds and reactions
- Defences against disease
- Applied physics
- Genetics and Inheritance
- Ecological issues
All aspects of the course provide opportunities for experimental work and the application of concepts to everyday life.
Skills developed in the course:
- Experimental design with data analysis and evaluation
- Application of concepts to everyday situations
- Communication of scientific ideas
- Ability to access and select information using a range of sources
- Laboratory practical skills
Students may wish to take both Year 11 Science and one of either Year 11 Chemistry, Physics or Biology to enhance their depth of understanding and proficiency at Year 12.
This course leads to: NCEA Level 2 Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Environmental Biology) and IB Group 4 Science subjects.
- Investigation – 20%
- Disease (research report) – 20%
- Knowledge and Understanding (exam) – 40%
- Applied Physics – 20%