NCEA Level 1 Science
Number of Credits: 18
Entry Recommendation: Open entry.
Course Outline: The standards chosen for this course cover a range of science disciplines: Chemistry, Biology and Physics, with external assessments in Chemistry and Genetics. Students will carry out a practical investigation, will research to develop an understanding of disease and will apply physics concepts to explain everyday phenomena.
Skills developed in the course:
- Experimental design with data analysis and evaluation
- Application of concepts to everyday situations
- Communication of scientific ideas
- Ability to access and select information using a range of sources
- Laboratory practical skills
Students may wish to take both Level 1 Science and one of either Level 1 Chemistry, Physics or Human Biology to enhance their depth of understanding and proficiency at Year 12.
This course leads to: NCEA Level 2 Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) and IB Group 4 Science subjects.