smc foundation diploma – Physics
Entry Recommendations: Open entry, although students with strong mathematical skills will be at an advantage.
Course Outline: Students will investigate trends and relationships in physical phenomena in the areas of mechanics, electricity, and magnetism, waves, quantum physics and astronomy. They will demonstrate an understanding of physical phenomena and concepts by explaining and solving questions and problems that relate to everyday situations.
Skills developed in the course:
- Experimental design with data analysis and evaluation
- Application of concepts to everyday situations
- Communication of scientific ideas
- Ability to access and select information using a range of sources
- Laboratory practical skills
Students may wish to take both Year 11 Science and one of either Year 11 Chemistry, Physics or Biology to enhance their depth of understanding and proficiency at Year 12.
This course leads to: NCEA Level 2 Physics or IB Physics.
Practical portfolio – 20%
End of topic tests – 30%
Weekly course work – 20%
End of year exam – 30%