smc foundation diploma – EPIC Learning Programme – english and humanities
EPIC – Empowered / Personalised / Inspired / Challenge
Course acceptance: Dependant on prerequisites having been met and may involve discussion with the Head of English.
Course Outline: EPIC prides itself on offering a learning environment where students are empowered through a cross-curricular programme that encourages collaboration, creativity and independence in their learning.
The course offers a selection of assessments drawn from English and Humanities, and a focus on giving students a foundation of research, written and oral presentation skills. As the course accounts for two curriculum areas, students benefit from eight contact hours per week, crating a cohesive and consistent learning environment. Although EPIC was originally created to support students with learning needs due to its strong pastoral system. It is a course that caters for a diverse range of learners – offering both support and extension opportunities.
Completion of Year 10 English and Social Science. Entry into this course involves discussion with relevant department staff and may be recommended to students by the Learning Enhancement Centre.
Skills developed in the course:
- Effective communication
- Critical Thinking
- Language and Media analysis
- Visual and oral presentation
- Ability to work and learn collaboratively
- Literacy skills
- Formal and creative writing skills
- Planning, research and review skills
- Problem solving – processing information to form justified conclusions
- Research skills – collecting, presenting, analysing and evaluating information
The course may lead to: NCEA Level 2 EPIC, NCEA Level 2 English, NCEA Level 2 Humanities
- Close Viewing: Demonstrate understanding of Visual texts through Close Viewing supported by evidence – 30%
- Creative Writing: Produce a piece of creative writing in the style of a specific genre – 35%
- Essay: Demonstrate understanding of specified aspects of studied texts, using supporting evidence – 30%
- Homework: Complete homework in a timely and satisfactory manner – 5%
- History Research and Report: Develop historical research skills and present findings from historical research, using sources and concepts – 45%
- Media Documentary: Demonstrate understanding of media conventions through the planning and creation of a media product – 25%
- Social Inquiry: Conduct a social inquiry – 25%
- Effort and Participation – 5%