NCEA Level 1 EPIC Learning Programme
Number of Credits: Up to 64
EPIC – Empowered Personalised Inspired Challenge
Course Outline: EPIC is a successful programme designed to provide students with the opportunity to access NCEA in a more supported programme with a holistic approach, where subjects are integrated.
The learning focus, with common themes across the core learning areas of English, Humanities, Science, and Mathematics, and a collaborative teaching team, will be based on student skills and interests. Group and personalised learning opportunities will be offered to best suit student needs.
NCEA Level 1 Achievement Standards (internal and external) and Level 1 Unit Standards when required as alternatives, will be combined to provide a learning programme for students within planned common themes.
Students will develop the knowledge and skills necessary to prepare and maintain achievement between 4-6 identified subjects.
Students with specific areas of interest and capability, may study a regular Level 1 SMC programme in those subjects, i.e a student may study EPIC English and Humanities with regular Level 1 Math and Level 1 Science. This will be timetable dependent.
Skills developed in the course:
- Application of concepts to everyday situations
- Effective communication, including presentation and interpretation across all learning areas
- Ability to work and learn collaboratively
- Literacy and numeracy skills
- Planning, research and review skills
- Problem solving – processing information to form justified conclusions
- Research skills – collecting, presenting, analysing and evaluating information
- Number, measurement, transformation geometry, and statistics
- Experimental design with data analysis and evaluation
- Practical skills in science, math and IT linked to learning areas
Course Costs: There will be a cost of up to $200 for additional standards, depending on personalised needs.
The course leads to: 2022 Level 2 EPIC in English with Humanities or transition into NCEA Level 2 subjects as per prior learning recommendations for each subject .
SAMPLE ASSESSMENT SCHEDULE
(Will be designed collaboratively based on student areas of interest)