Year 11 Biology
Entry Recommendation: Open entry.
Course Outline: The topics chosen for the Biology course provide a foundation for Year 12 Biology and Environmental Biology. They cover body systems, genetics, and ecological interactions. All aspects of the course provide opportunities for experimental work and the application of biological concepts to everyday life.
Skills developed in the course:
- Experimental design with data analysis and evaluation
- Application of concepts to everyday situations
- Communication of scientific ideas
- Ability to access and select information using a range of sources
- Laboratory practical skills
- Investigate biological systems
Students may wish to take Year 11 Biology and one of either Year 11 Chemistry, Physics, or Science to enhance their depth of understanding and proficiency at Year 12.
Course costs: Field Trip $15
This course leads to: NCEA Level 2 Biology or Level 2 Environmental Biology or IB Biology or IB Environmental Systems
Investigation (practical portfolio)
Applied Concepts (research report)
Knowledge and Understanding (exam)
Science Interpretation (data analysis)