smc foundation diploma – History
Entry Recommendations: Open entry.
Course Outline: This is a varied course that introduces students to the discipline of History. The topics studied revolve around four key themes – The Black Civil Rights Movement, the key events which led to the outbreak of World War II, a research investigation into a New Zealand criminal case and field trips to sites of local historical significance.
Skills developed in the course:
- Understanding differing points of view
- Interpretation of sources
- Critiquing sources
- Research skills
- Formal writing using evidence
This course leads to: NCEA Level 2 History or IB History.
Assessment – Components of this course will be selected from the following assessments:
- Perspectives on a historical event of significance to Aotearoa – New Zealand – written report – 25%
- Historical research into an event or place of significance to Aotearoa – New Zealand – research folder – 35%
- Present findings form historical research using sources and concepts – presentation – 25%
- Interpreting historical sources of information with a local history focus – exam – 15%