smc foundation diploma – Health education
Entry Recommendations: Open entry.
Course Outline: This course is based on local, culturally relevant wellbeing issues and will expand on ideas and concepts from ‘The Rite Journey’. Students who enjoy interpersonal learning and being challenged to think critically and empathetically about current Health issues will enjoy this course. Interactive discussion will be an integral part of the learning process.
Skills developed in the course:
- Students will develop an understanding of the concept of Hauora
- Students will develop strategies to support positive well-being
- Students will understand and develop strategies for effective decision making
- Students will develop interpersonal skills to enhance relationships
- Students will develop their critical thinking skills to build health knowledge and understanding
The course leads to: NCEA Level 2 Health Studies, NCEA Level 2 Physical Education and IB Sports, Exercise and Health Science.
- Taking Action – Personal Wellbeing Portfolio – 30%
- Keeping Ourselves Safe – Alcohol and Drugs Group Research Project – 25%
- Promoting Positive Sexuality – Individual Research Project – 25%
- Understanding of Wellbeing – Written Assignment – 2o%