smc foundation diploma – EPIC Learning Programme – Science and mathematics
EPIC – Empowered / Personalised / Inspired / Challenge
Entry Recommendation: Entry into this course involves discussion with the Science and Mathematics Heads of Faculty.
Course Outline: EPIC aims to meet the needs of students who would benefit from more specific, integrated or non traditional teaching and learning. Students benefit from eight contact hours per week, in a learning environment where they are empowered through a cross-curricular programme that encourages collaboration, creativity and independence in their learning. The course offers a selection of learning opportunities drawn from Science and Mathematics, and focuses on giving students a foundation of research, investigation, problem solving, analysis and presentation skills.
Science learning areas: ecology field work, body systems (including disease, nutrition, genetics), everyday chemistry and applied physics.
Mathematics learning areas: Number, Measurement, Budgeting, Statistics and Probability, Investigation.
Mathematics and Science topics are fully integrated to create a cohesive and consistent learning environment. Numeracy and Literacy skills are developed within ‘real world’ contexts as a foundation to further study in Level 2 NCEA.
Skills developed in the course:
- Effective communication
- Application of science and mathematical concepts to everyday situations
- Ability to work and learn collaboratively
- Problem solving – processing information to form justified conclusions
- Research skills – collecting, presenting, analysing and evaluating information
- Investigation design and practical skills
- Working with money in a future-focused approach to managing oneself
Course Costs: Field trips $20
The course leads to: NCEA Level 2 Biology, Environmental Biology and Mathematics.
- Ecology field study – 25%
- Investigate an aspect of nutrition – 25%
- Disease research – 25%
- Applied genetics – 25%
- Use number to solve problems – 25%
- Use measurement to solve problems – 25%
- Interpret statistical information – 25%
- Budgeting – 25%