SMC Foundation diploma – English Extension
Entry Recommendations: Completion of Year 10 English, with specific focus on reading and writing skills. Entry into this course is at the discretion of the Head of Faculty English and other department staff.
Course Outline: Students will explore and develop a range of vital skills and key competencies in this course. Students will have the opportunity to make choices about their learning outcomes through a range of studied written / visual / oral texts, as well as self selected texts drawn from New Zealand Literature, World Literature, and the English canon. This is a stimulating and engaging course geared towards higher English study for those students who may wish to study towards NCEA English Scholarship in Years 12 and 13.
Skills developed in the course:
- Thinking critically about a range of oral, written, and visual texts.
- Language and media analysis
- Writing in a range of genres
- Visual and oral presentation
The course leads to: NCEA Level 2 English or IB English.
- Creative Presentation – present developed ideas from a text in a creative presentation – 25%
- Intertextuality Study – demonstrates understanding of significant connections across texts – 25%
- Language in Context – demonstrates understanding of how language is shaped by context to form conclusions – 25%
- Studied Text Essay – demonstrate understanding of specified aspects of studied texts, using supporting evidence – 25%