SMC foundation diploma – Chemistry
Entry Recommendations: Open entry.
Course Outline: Students will identify patterns and trends in the properties of a range of groups of substances. This course covers chemical reactions, organic chemistry, quantitative analysis and properties of metals. All aspects of the course provide opportunities for extensive experimental work.
Skills developed in the course:
- Experimental design with data analysis and evaluation
- Application of concepts to everyday situations
- Communication of scientific ideas
- Ability to access and select information using a range of sources
- Laboratory practical skills
Students may wish to take both Year 11 Science and one of either Year 11 Chemistry, Physics or Biology to enhance their depth of understanding and proficiency at Year 12.
The course leads to: NCEA Level 2 Chemistry or IB Chemistry
- Chemical Reactions – 20%
- Quantitative Analysis – 20%
- Properties of Metals – 20%
- Organic Chemistry – 20%
- Practical Investigations – 20%