NCEA Level 1 Chemistry
Number of Credits: 19-20
Entry Recommendations: Students require a good grounding in Science in Years 9 and 10. Students who have already entered Level 1 NCEA Science in Year 10 are encouraged to enter for NCEA Chemistry and/or NCEA Physics.
Course Outline: Students will identify patterns and trends in the properties of a range of groups of substances, for example, chemical reactions, metals, metal compounds, and hydrocarbons. Students will carry out an individual practical investigation. All aspects of the course provide opportunities for extensive experimental work.
Skills developed in the course:
- Experimental design with data analysis and evaluation
- Application of concepts to everyday situations
- Communication of scientific ideas
- Ability to access and select information using a range of sources
- Laboratory practical skills
Course costs: Chemistry Competition $9.50 (optional)
The course leads to: NCEA Level 2 Chemistry