Year 11 Chemistry
Entry Recommendations: Students require a good grounding in Science in Years 9 and 10. Students who have already entered Year 11 Science in Year 10 are encouraged to enter for Chemistry and/or Physics.
Course Outline: Students will identify patterns and trends in the properties of a range of groups of substances. This course covers chemical reactions, organic chemistry, quantitative analysis and properties of metals. All aspects of the course provide opportunities for extensive experimental work.
Skills developed in the course:
- Experimental design with data analysis and evaluation
- Application of concepts to everyday situations
- Communication of scientific ideas
- Ability to access and select information using a range of sources
- Laboratory practical skills
The course leads to: NCEA Level 2 Chemistry
- Chemical Reactions
- Quantitative Analysis
- Properties of Metals
- Organic Chemistry