NCEA Level 3 Biology
Number of Credits: 14
Entry Recommendation: NCEA Level 2 Biology or Level 2 Environmental Biology or Level 2 Chemistry or in consultation with the Head of Faculty.
Course Outline: Students will carry out an in-depth individual practical investigation and will research current biological issues. Plant growth responses and animal behaviour provide opportunities for experimental work and field trips. Analysis of archaeological data provides the basis for the topic on human evolution. Students will consider the biological, social and ethical implications of gene technology and environmental change.
Skills developed in the course:
- Experimental design with data analysis and evaluation
- Application of concepts to everyday situations
- Understand the relationship between organisms and their environment
- Communication of scientific ideas
- Ability to evaluate access and select information using a range of sources
- Laboratory practical skills
Course Costs: Field trips $20