NCEA Level 2 Physical Education
Number of Credits: 19
Entry Recommendations: Open entry.
Course Outline: Students will study biophysical principles relating to learning physical skills and training for physical activities. This course has a strong theoretical and written component that is applied in practical physical activities. From time to time students will travel out of the school grounds during class time. There is currently a two-day summer and winter camp depending on course numbers. Much of the assessment is through written assignments and students taking this course must be well-organised and self-motivated as Level 2 Physical Education offers internally assessed Achievement Standards only.
Skills developed in the course:
- An understanding of biophysical principles in relation to motor skill learning and biomechanics
- An understanding of how to apply biophysical principles to a training programme
- A variety of physical skills
- Social responsibility in a physical setting including coaching others
- An understanding of how groups or teams develop to become effective units or development of leadership strategies while leading others in physical activity
Course Costs: Physical Activity Experiences $500 approximately.
The course leads to: NCEA Level 3 Physical Education, NCEA Level 3 LEAP and NCEA Level 3 Health Studies.