SMC Foundation Diploma – Photography and Design
Entry Recommendations: Completion of Year 10 Visual Art course is recommended, or at the discretion of the Head of Visual Arts Faculty.
Course Outline: The course will involve four parts:
- Visual Portfolio – Panel 1
- Visual Portfolio – Panel 2
- Exhibition / Collaboration (physical/online)
Skills developed in the course:
- Understand and analyse the relationship between the production of art works and the contexts in which they are made, viewed and valued.
- Apply knowledge of a range of conventions from Art practice, using appropriate processes and procedures.
- Develop technical understanding of a range of media.
- Generate, develop, and clarify ideas, showing understanding of Art practice.
- Investigate, analyse, and evaluate ideas and interpret artists’ intentions in art works.
Course Costs: $100 for Art materials, workbooks and printing.
This course leads to: NCEA Level 2 Painting, Printmaking, Photography, Design or IB Art.
- Workbook: 20 A3 workbook pages involving Artist Research. Technical skills and processes related to photography and design proactive, idea generation, and reviewing, refining and reflecting – 30%
- Visual Portfolio – Panel 1: A2 Panel Developing ideas. Digital or physical in presentation. Systematically develop a series of works based on established photography and design practice – 30%
- Visual Portfolio – Panel 2: A2 Panel Systematically clarified a series of works based on established photography and design practice – 30%
- Exhibition / Collaboration (physical/online): Exhibit a resolved artwork that demonstrates a level of technical competence in photography or design – 10%