NCEA Level 1 EPIC Learning Programme
Number of Credits: Up to 72
EPIC – Empowered Personalised Inspired Challenge
Course Outline: EPIC – a successful programme introduced in 2018 for Y11 Level 1 NCEA. This course provides students with the opportunity to access NCEA in a more supported programme in a holistic approach where subjects are integrated.
The learning focus, with common themes across the core learning areas of English, Humanities, Science and Mathematics, and a collaborative teaching team, will be based on student skills and interests. Group and personalised learning opportunities will be offered to best suit student needs.
NCEA Level 1 Achievement Standards (internal and external) and Level 1 Unit Standards when required as alternatives, will be designed to provide a learning programme for students within planned common themes.
Students will develop the knowledge and skills necessary to prepare and maintain achievement between 4-6 identified subjects. Students with specific areas of interest and capability, will study a regular Level 1 SMC programme in those subjects; this will be timetable dependent.
Skills developed in the course:
- Application of concepts to everyday situations
- Effective communication, including presentation and interpretation across all learning areas
- Ability to work and learn collaboratively
- Literacy and numeracy skills
- Planning, research and review skills
- Problem solving – processing information to form justified conclusions
- Research skills – collecting, presenting, analysing and evaluating information
- Number, measurement, transformation geometry, statistics, probability
- Experimental design with data analysis and evaluation
- Practical skills in science, math and IT linked to learning areas
Course Costs: There will be a maximum cost of $200 for additional standards, depending on personalised needs. Note – there will be other subject costs where relevant, as lists in the Senior Learning Pathways subject outlines.
The course leads to: 2019 Level 2 EPIC in English with humanities is being offered as a trial or students can transition into NCEA Level 2 subjects as per prior learning recommendations for each subject . Additional Level 2 personalised areas of learning using outside facilitators will also be an option.
SAMPLE ASSESSMENT SCHEDULE
(Will be designed collaboratively based on student areas of interest)