NCEA Level 1 EPIC Learning Programme
Number of Credits: Up to 90
EPIC – Empowered Personalised Inspired Challenge
Course Outline: This learning course is designed for students who have identified learning needs going into Level 1 Year 11. Providing a contextualised learning focus with common themes across the core learning areas of English, Humanities, Science and Mathematics, and a collaborative teaching team, the learning programme will be based on student skills and interests. Group and personalised learning opportunities will be offered to best suit student needs.
NCEA Level 1 Achievement Standards (internal and external) and Level 1 Unit Standards will be planned to provide a learning programme for students within planned common themes. Providers outside of SMC will be enlisted, where applicable, to provide the best learning opportunity for students. In addition to NCEA Level 1 students may prefer to work towards the National Certificate in Supported Learning.
Students will develop the knowledge and skills necessary to prepare and maintain achievement between 4-6 identified subjects according to their identified learning needs. Where possible, students with specific areas of interest and capability, will study a regular Level 1 SMC programme; this will be timetable dependent.
Skills developed in the course:
- Application of concepts to everyday situations
- Effective communication, including presentation and interpretation across all learning areas
- Understanding other people’s points of view, beliefs, perspectives and cultures
- Ability to work and learn collaboratively
- Literacy and numeracy skills
- Planning, research and review skills
- Problem solving – processing information to form justified conclusions
- Research skills – collecting, presenting, analysing and evaluating information
- Number, measurement, transformation geometry, statistics, probability
- Experimental design with data analysis and evaluation
- Practical skills in science, math and IT linked to learning areas
Course Costs: Each student will have an individualised programme cost dependant on their needs. There will be a maximum cost of $200 for additional standards. Note – there will be other subject costs where relevant, as lists in the Senior Learning Pathways subject outlines.
The course leads to: either NCEA Level 2 as per prior learning recommendations for each subject or additional Level 2 personalised areas of learning where possible. Note: it may be appropriate that Level 1 is studied over a two year programme for some students
SAMPLE ASSESSMENT SCHEDULE
(Will be designed collaboratively based on student areas of interest)