NCEA Level 1 Geography
Number of Credits: 22
Entry Recommendations: Open entry.
Course Outline: Geography aims to develop an understanding of people and their environment. Year 11 Geography begins to equip students with a broad base of knowledge about aspects of the world in which we live and with the skills of information processing and analysis that are important to many careers. Topics include a study of extreme natural events, an investigation into population concepts, a global geographic topic and national geographic issue.
Skills developed in the course:
- Effective communication, including the presentation and interpretation of information in maps, graphs, models and written reports (Geographic spatial skills)
- Problem solving – processing information to form conclusions
- Understanding other people’s points of view, beliefs, cultures and perspectives
- Research – collecting, presenting, analysing and evaluating information
- Ability to work and learn collaboratively
Course costs: A small fee may apply to local fieldwork outings.
This course leads to: NCEA Level 2 Geography or IB Geography.