NCEA Level 3 Chinese
Number of Credits: up to 24
Entry Recommendations: NCEA Level 2 Chinese or in consultation with the Head of Faculty.
Course Outline: This course emphasises the world we live in and the student’s place in it. Students further develop competences acquired in Level 2 Chinese. They deepen their intercultural understanding of the Chinese culture, gaining insight into different perspectives on a wide variety of issues. Students develop more complex language skills conveying and exchanging justified information, ideas and opinions in genuine contexts. A range of topics relevant to today’s globalised societies is covered in this course, such as work and career related problems, environmental issues, technology and media, social cohesion and creative arts.
Skills developed in the course
- Intercultural communicative competence
- Listening skills: understanding of genuine spoken texts on less familiar matters
- Reading skills: understanding of genuine written and visual texts on less familiar matters
- Speaking skills: communicating orally using more complex language in a wide variety of contexts
- Writing skills: communicating in written using more complex language
Course Costs: Approximately $50 for online subscriptions, competitions, stationery and student workbook.
Assessment: Components of this course will be selected from the following standards to suit individual learning needs.