NCEA Level 3 Biology
Number of Credits: 22
Entry Recommendation: NCEA Level 2 Biology or NCEA Level 2 Chemistry or in consultation with the Head of Faculty.
Course Outline: Students will carry out an in-depth individual practical investigation and will research current biological issues. Plant growth responses and animal behaviour provide opportunities for experimental work and field trips. Analysis of archaeological data provides the basis for the topic on human evolution.
Skills developed in the course:
- Experimental design with data analysis and evaluation
- Application of concepts to everyday situations
- Communication of scientific ideas
- Ability to access and select information using a range of sources
- Laboratory practical skills
Course Costs: Course notes $20, field trips $15,Education Perfect (online study tool) $25, Optional ICAS Science Competition entry fee $8.50.
Assessment: Components of this course will be selected from the following standards.