NCEA Level 2 Biology
Number of Credits: 19
Entry Recommendations: NCEA Level 1 Science or Human Biology or in consultation with the Head of Faculty.
Course Outline: In the internally assessed components of the course students will carry out research on current biological issues and carry out a field study. The theory and applications of cell biology, human body systems and genetics provide opportunities for further experimental work.
Skills developed in the course:
- Experimental design with data analysis and evaluation
- Explore ways in which living things carry out life processes
- Application of biological concepts to everyday situations
- Communication of scientific ideas
- Ability to access and select information using a range of sources
- Laboratory practical skills
- Critically analyse biological information
- Understand the processes that lead to genetic change
Course Costs: Course Notes $20, field trips $15, ICAS Science Competition (optional) entry fee $7.50, Education Perfect (online study tool) $25 (optional)
This course leads to: NCEA Level 3 Biology.