NCEA Level 1 Visual Arts
Number of Credits: 18
Entry Recommendations: Completion of Year 10 Art is recommended, or at the discretion of the Head of Visual Arts Faculty.
Course Outline: The course will involve two parts:
- Workbook studies and practical submissions covering artist research, drawing and media studies and idea development.
- Portfolio, an externally assessed two-panel folio which is thematically linked and demonstrates a range of media and development of ideas.
Skills developed in the course:
- Understand and analyse the relationship between the production of art works and the contexts in which they are made, viewed and valued.
- Apply knowledge of a range of conventions from Art practice, using appropriate processes and procedures.
- Develop technical understanding of a range of media
- Generate, develop, and clarify ideas, showing understanding of Art practice.
- Investigate, analyse, and evaluate ideas and interpret artists’ intentions in art works.
Course Costs: $100 for Art materials.
This course leads to: NCEA Level 2 Painting, Printmaking, Photography and Design or IB Art.
Assessment: Components of this course will be selected from the following standards to suit individual learning.