IB Group 5 – Mathematics
MATHEMATICS – HIGHER LEVEL, STANDARD LEVEL, STUDIES
The IB Mathematics programmes take account of two fundamental considerations: background knowledge and technical skill. Some students intend to pursue the study of Mathematics at a higher level, while for others the subject has less importance.
The general aims of the Mathematics programmes are to provide courses which develop:
- A student’s understanding of Mathematics as a discipline;
- An attitude to Mathematics in students favourable to subsequent learning and the use of the subject;
- A student’s ability to learn mathematics on their own
In all courses offered, students will be expected to demonstrate under examination conditions:
- General competence in using syllabus items in mathematical problems;
- Knowledge of mathematical concepts and essential terminology and notation;
- Ability to represent situations in mathematical terms and hence examine their implications and possibilities and arrive at definite conclusions.
Assessment is based on the examination result (80%) and internally assessed project work (20%) for all three courses.