IB GROUP $
Sports, Exercise and Health Science
Intent of the Programme
The Sports, Exercise and Health Science course is currently a Standard Level (SL) subject.
The SEHS course incorporates the disciplines of anatomy and physiology, biomechanics, psychology and nutrition, which are studied in the context of sport, exercise and health.
A combination of syllabus content and experimental work provides the opportunity for students to acquire the knowledge and understanding necessary to apply scientific principles and analyse human performance.
SEHS students participate in a compulsory Group 4 project. This collaborative and interdisciplinary exercise provides an opportunity for students to explore scientific solutions to global questions.
IB Sports, Exercise and Health Science is a Standard Level course only.
Subject Specific Core:
- Topic 1 Anatomy
- Topic 2 Exercise Physiology
- Topic 3 Energy Systems
- Topic 4 Movement analysis – related to a variety of physical activities
- Topic 5 Skill in sport
- Topic 6 Measurement and evaluation of human performance
Two of the following four options to be selected and completed:
- Option A Optimising physiological performance
- Option B Psychology of Sport
- Option C Physical activity and health
- Option D Nutrition for sport, exercise and health
Comprising 3 examination papers – 76%
Made up of Group 4 project and practical work – 24%